photo Amazon_zpsli3iz9z7.png
Do you shop at Amazon.com or know someone who does? Click on the link below, or any Amazon link in this blog, to help us earn Amazon Credit in order to buy therapy equipment! Anything you order off Amazon counts! Please bookmark Madi, Ramya and Deena's link and pass it on... every order helps! http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=missmadi-20

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Well, here we are again

Just as I feared, we are back in the hospital. At some point, Madi's shunt had stopped functioning correctly.  It started about 4 or 5 days ago.  Madi wanted to eat constantly and would only take a small 45 minute nap before wanting to eat again.  Considering that she is exclusively breastfed, let's just say I was hurting a bit!  I took her in to the pediatrician who said it was most likely a growth spurt and not to worry.  I also called the neurosurgeon who said it was normal for babies to act like that after surgery because they are trying to heal, which takes a lot of calories.  She continued to want to eat constantly, but her fontinel (soft spot) felt great, she had no fever, and she was reletively happy so I continued to monitor her but thought everything was ok.  Last night I started noticing her fontinel felt firmer.  She slept well and still had a great appetite but throughout the course of the night it started feeling more and more full.  This morning I knew that something was off.  I tried to call her neurosurgeon but the office was closed for the holiday.  After that I called her pediatrician and left a message for the nurse on call.  The nurse talked to me, the doctor on call, and then instructed me to take Madi in to the Children's Hospital.  As soon as we got here we were brought back to a room in the ER.  They ordered a cat-scan and some x-rays but couldn't find anything wrong.  Next they decided to tap her shunt to see if she has an infection.  The initial gram stain came back negative but we have to wait 24 hours to make sure that nothing grows in the culture.  If it comes back that she has an infection they will take out her internal shunt, put in an external shunt, start antibiotics, and we will be here for another 2- 2 1/2 weeks.  If there is no infection then they will go in and see what is clogging up the shunt.  That would mean we are here for about two or three days.  Either way, Madi will need yet another surgery and goes NPO (nothing by mouth) at 4 am.  I am praying that her shunt is not infected again.  As of right now, Madi and I have spent 50% of her life in the hospital and it's just not much fun.  I know that God has a plan and there is a reason why we are here, but today is just a depressing day.  We should know more tomorrow and I will keep everyone updated.  We would greatly appreciate your prayers!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Still praying. I won't say I know what its like because I don't. God knows though.
Remember the Footprints poem- it is in the difficult times that God carries us.

wilkette said...

Praying for you both. I know how hard it is to spend so much time in the hospital with your LO.

Ciaran's parents, Jon & Wendy said...

Oh Jamie...I am praying, girlie!!! I'm sure you are feeling really weak yet finding strength you never knew you had. Shunt taps are horrible...that is the worst test for them...and the worst for Mommy too. Honestly, I can remember Ciaran eating constantly when her shunt was malfunctioning...I think it's one of the only things that soothes/consoles them while they are in this extreme pain.

HUGS...HUGS...HUGS
PRAYERS....PRAYERS....PRAYERS