photo Amazon_zpsli3iz9z7.png
Do you shop at or know someone who does? Click on the link below, or any Amazon link in this blog, to help us earn Amazon Credit in order to buy therapy equipment! Anything you order off Amazon counts! Please bookmark Madi, Ramya and Deena's link and pass it on... every order helps!

Friday, January 27, 2017

Surgery is Over and Went Great

Whew! It's been a long day!  Surgery started right around 8 this morning and we finally got a call at 1:40 saying that surgery was done, she did really well, they were splinting her up, and then the doctor would be out to talk to me.  Dr. Vincent came shortly to talk to me about how surgery went.  He brought me her old rod from India, which was really interesting to see/have.  It's a generic steel rod that was supposed to be telescopic like the FD rod.  Basically, the tip on the part that goes up into the other rod portion was bent so it wasn't deploying correctly.  He had to make a cut in the bone to get the rod out, but was able to fully remove it. 

The new rods are in both her femur and her tibia and are positioned perfectly.  She has a removable spica cast on, which we won't remove for quite some time.  It's nice, though, because when she is ready to bathe I can unwrap it, bathe her, and then re-wrap it. 

After Dr. Vincent left (to do another surgery and then see patients... I don't know how he does it.  He's amazing!) the anesthesiologist came out to talk to me.  She was given a block, aka a kid's version of an epidural, and her pain was managed well.  They did intubate her, which they told me they would before surgery, just because of how long surgery was going to be.  She wanted her to be able to take some deep breaths and felt it would be best for her.  Everything went great as far as that goes.  Deena did have some blood loss, but her blood test came back ok, so she did not need a transfusion.  We will watch her closely for the rest of the day and give her one if needed, but as of right now, she is seeming ok.  The anesthesiologist gave me a hug and then told me they would be out to bring me back.

Waiting is SO hard but I finally got the call that they were grabbing me and then bringing us to a room.  Deena has been sleeping pretty much since she got out of surgery, waking up just long enough to wiggle her toes for them.  She also threw up a little bit, so they gave her zofran.  The plan is to let her sleep as much as she needs and they are doing a good job not disturbing her.  She is on a regular diet so she can eat and drink whenever she is ready, though we will take it slow since she had a tummy ache. 

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  I'm praying her pain is able to be managed well and she can bounce back quickly.  She's so tough and resilient.  She's pretty darn amazing!

No comments: